Ripple effect of Gallo's first week

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MushMouthMike
    Yep. If he puts it together it's a game changer. It's not Leclerc developing into a nice bullpen part, or Profar becoming a super utility man (although I still think he might become more), or a few guys surface in the minors. It would be a game changer of epic proportions.
    Yup. Odor, Mazara, Andrus, Gallo, Guzman, Profar, Rua, DeShields. (Wish we still had Brinson.) Growing strong relievers. Great minor league production.

Comment

Evan Grant @Evan_P_Grant
      Attention Rangers: Joey can't do it all.

Comment

Originally posted by mingjungtc View Post
        Evan Grant @Evan_P_Grant
        Attention Rangers: Joey can't do it all.
        Attention Rangers: Rua and DeShields suck. It's time for Profar to start getting everyday ABs in left, until Beltre returns at least.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post

Attention Rangers: Rua and DeShields suck. It's time for Profar to start getting everyday ABs in left, until Beltre returns at least.
          not right handed. If they are going to give someone rhed at bats it has to be deshields. This is the kind of game where you need someone that can just get on a disrupt things. You are not going to get many hits against paxton when he is on.,

Comment

Originally posted by rainag View Post

not right handed. If they are going to give someone rhed at bats it has to be deshields. This is the kind of game where you need someone that can just get on a disrupt things. You are not going to get many hits against paxton when he is on.,
            DeShields doesn't get on at a high rate, strikes out entirely too much for a Punch and Judy hitter, and is a poor defensive outfielder with a rag arm. I'd rather give Profar the at-bats and an opportunity to prove his poor platoon splits to this point in his major league career are a fluke than have to continue watching Rua and DeShields get semi-regular playing time. Those two are 24th/25th men on a major league roster at best. Profar has the talent to be more. It's time to let him show what he's got.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post

DeShields doesn't get on at a high rate, strikes out entirely too much for a Punch and Judy hitter, and is a poor defensive outfielder with a rag arm. I'd rather give Profar the at-bats and an opportunity to prove his poor platoon splits to this point in his major league career are a fluke than have to continue watching Rua and DeShields get semi-regular playing time. Those two are 24th/25th men on a major league roster at best. Profar has the talent to be more. It's time to let him show what he's got.
              man the guy has played what 3 times since spring training and that is your take on him? You are so over the top on these role players. They have a very difficult job. Profar needs to play but just sticking him in left field was never the plan. He was supposed to be zobrist. He is not that great defensively out there either. They have three inexperienced players trying to play once a week expectiing performance from them. Veteran players are much more suited to that kind of role as it is for utility guys. It is funny that now you are a big supporter of profar when he is a much better infielder. He has talent and is unlikely to capture it here. They just need to get whatever value they are going to get from him and let someone else reap the rewards. It will be hard to watch but maybe they get lucky with juremi. Then they can put gallo in left field where he is equally unsuited.

Comment

Imo, it's rua that needs to sit the bench for now. DeShields gallo profar need the ab's. Having Nap and Gallo really limit this year's potential contribution from rua at 1b

Comment

I agree on rua. at least deshields speed can be a factor if he gets on base regularly. Rua just never seems to carry his play over into the season even though they really limit his chances with the way they play him.

Comment

Circle Change
                    Pico de Gallo?

Over the 837 pitches that comprise his career thus far, Gallo has missed on 47.5 percent of his swings. If you focus on the very small sample of this season, hes improved to a 39.3 percent clip.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=31644

Comment

Originally posted by mingjungtc View Post
                      Circle Change
                      Pico de Gallo?

Over the 837 pitches that comprise his career thus far, Gallo has missed on 47.5 percent of his swings. If you focus on the very small sample of this season, hes improved to a 39.3 percent clip.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=31644
                      Gallo's definitely done a better job of seeing the ball and making contact this year. He still swings and misses too much, but he's approaching a level now at least that will allow his monstrous power to play. And a good percentage of his strikeouts are coming on 3-2 counts, after he's made the pitcher work for it.

I've been pleased with his progress so far this season. The key will be maintaining it and continuing to improve.

Comment

Gallo will put people in the seats just to see his HRs. Two awesome ones tonight.

Comment

A year or so ago I wrote here that Gallo could succeed in the MLB with a strike-out rate of 30-35%. His early results validate this big-time.

Despite a K rate of 36% this season...and despite a batting average of only .214...he's thrown up a 144 wRC+ so far! (Reminder league average is 100.)

Joey's 12.5% walk rate and his tape-measure home runs...go a long ways to making for a productive player.

Now before anyone thinks I'm tooting my horn on this...I race to also concede I pretty much gave up on Gallo last season...so what the hell do I know?

Of course...it's very, very early but he can add a lot...and a lot of fun to the Rangers.

Comment

Gallo is 23 and still has miles to go in his development but you have to wonder about him forcing his way into the lineup with his current play.

Comment

I can live with a .200 batting average if he's going to jack up homers every fourth day or so. Teach him left field. He has a cannon arm and can run well.

Comment

Originally posted by RangersBamBam View Post
                                I can live with a .200 batting average if he's going to jack up homers every fourth day or so. Teach him left field. He has a cannon arm and can run well.
                                Exactly, his BA is 214 but his OBP is 313 and his OPS is 884. He won't keep up a pace of 5 HRs every 56 ABs, but hitting 7th or 8th in this lineup he won't have to.

Comment

Working...
                                X