Ripple effect of Gallo's first week

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripple effect of Gallo's first week

What will happen when Beltre returns (as soon as tomorrow) now that Joey is looking like one of our top 9?

His most logical near-long-term home is 1B, so we just get that process going? I think with reps he could be a top defensive 1B, that would be very nice to have.

That would result in more Choo + Nomar in the OF corners, but then again the alternative is stick Gallo in LF where he wouldn't be much if any better than Nomar.

Keeping him around will result in a boondoggle with Deshields and Profar. There wouldn't be enough PT for both and Rua (who profiles more comfortably in PT duty as a RH match for Gallo/Maz/Choo)

With Profar currently our backup MI (well, unless Drew Robinson is), that leads me to believe a move would be to send down Deshields, maybe try to deal him for whatever we can get.

or else, we go ahead and send Gallo down (Booo! That would be tough to do right now) for say 3 weeks, where he focuses at 1b and/or LF, giving Profar and Delino three more weeks at which time we make a more permanent call.

Which way will this thing go?
    The Texidor Tornado

Originally posted by fireovid View Post
    What will happen when Beltre returns (as soon as tomorrow) now that Joey is looking like one of our top 9?

His most logical near-long-term home is 1B, so we just get that process going? I think with reps he could be a top defensive 1B, that would be very nice to have.

That would result in more Choo + Nomar in the OF corners, but then again the alternative is stick Gallo in LF where he wouldn't be much if any better than Nomar.

Keeping him around will result in a boondoggle with Deshields and Profar. There wouldn't be enough PT for both and Rua (who profiles more comfortably in PT duty as a RH match for Gallo/Maz/Choo)

With Profar currently our backup MI (well, unless Drew Robinson is), that leads me to believe a move would be to send down Deshields, maybe try to deal him for whatever we can get.

or else, we go ahead and send Gallo down (Booo! That would be tough to do right now) for say 3 weeks, where he focuses at 1b and/or LF, giving Profar and Delino three more weeks at which time we make a more permanent call.

Which way will this thing go?
    If we decide to keep Gallo up, he needs to play regularly. And, to me, the easiest path to regular playing time would be left field, which allows Mazara to stay in his more natural position and keeps Choo out of the field -- both good things IMO. That would pretty much kill any chances Profar and/or DeShields have at regular playing time, but at this point you do what you think is best for the major league club. I don't know what that is long term, but Gallo has definitely given the team more good at-bats to start the season than Profar or DeShields have. He probably ought to be rewarded for it ... in the short term, at least.

Comment

I really think JG should go down and keep working on his approach. Therewill be injuries and he should play primarily 3rd base with some left field and 1st base.

Comment

Originally posted by rainag View Post
        I really think JG should go down and keep working on his approach. Therewill be injuries and he should play primarily 3rd base with some left field and 1st base.
        I agree, you could send Robinson down and give Gallo that position, but its better for everyone to have Gallo build on this strong start by going to AAA and playing every day.

Comment

Send him down while we see who's best out of DeShields profar rua. If none of them seize left field then bring gallo back up and give him a chance to play LF everyday

Comment

That kind of sends a bad message IMO. Play well and you get demoted. I've long been a Joey Gallo critic. And I'm still not ready to declare his arrival, but I think he deserves a chance to prove if the progress he's shown the past few games is real or not. If he can continue to make contact at a decent rate, he's a bigger threat to opposing pitchers than any of the guys who would stay on the roster at his expense. And there wouldn't be much, if any, dropoff defensively in left if you chose to play him there.

I agree with everyone else that he needs to be playing regularly somewhere. But I wouldn't mind that being as the Rangers left fielder ... at least until he proves he can't handle the job. Send Profar or DeShields down and let Rua get his at-bats as a platoon partner with Gallo and Choo.

Comment

So you would keep Robinson on the ML roster and send down Profar? Wow. You would not carry a ML SS backup out of your disgust for Profar? Danny, come on.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Harrah View Post
                Send him down while we see who's best out of DeShields profar rua. If none of them seize left field then bring gallo back up and give him a chance to play LF everyday
                That is a good idea, but I think the issue with the three LFs is that we have too many good players there rather than not having enough. One of them (at least) will seize the job.

Comment

Originally posted by texassooner1 View Post
                  So you would keep Robinson on the ML roster and send down Profar? Wow. You would not carry a ML SS backup out of your disgust for Profar? Danny, come on.
                  I didn't say that. I think Robinson's gone as soon as we need a fifth starter. I don't factor him into this equation at all.

But if my choice is to use Profar as a traditional utility infielder (a la Hanser Alberto or Luis Sardinas) or have him play everyday in the minors, I'm choosing the latter. If Gallo is getting near everyday at-bats in left, that's the only role available to Profar. I'd rather go find a true utility infielder, something you could add in a cash trade tomorrow, than waste Profar in that role. A) Profar could benefit from some regular at-bats and some success, and B) that would take some pressure off Banister to find at-bats for him in an infield full of good and durable players (Beltre's recent injury notwithstanding). You could always bring him back in the event of injury or ineffectiveness.

Comment

I dunno, but Gallo profiles best at 1B .... if youre gonna start him regularly, get him the reps he needs and within 3 weeks we'll have a much better defensive 1B, sorely needed with our erratic MIs. You can still work in Choo at DH on days when D is your main focus. Lets get real, Napoli profiles best as a guy who sits a couple times a week vs tough righties. Keeps him healthier, and, once Gallo gets the reps, the defense healthier too. So, split Gallo between 1B and Dh, some days at 3B while Belt gets to full speed. After a while, Gallo is our 1B, Nap our DH most of the time. Some days Choo DH, Naps pine. Still have to clear out Delino or send down Profar and pretend Robinson can play short for now.
                    The Texidor Tornado

Comment

Originally posted by fireovid View Post
                      I dunno, but Gallo profiles best at 1B .... if youre gonna start him regularly, get him the reps he needs and within 3 weeks we'll have a much better defensive 1B, sorely needed with our erratic MIs. You can still work in Choo at DH on days when D is your main focus. Lets get real, Napoli profiles best as a guy who sits a couple times a week vs tough righties. Keeps him healthier, and, once Gallo gets the reps, the defense healthier too. So, split Gallo between 1B and Dh, some days at 3B while Belt gets to full speed. After a while, Gallo is our 1B, Nap our DH most of the time. Some days Choo DH, Naps pine. Still have to clear out Delino or send down Profar and pretend Robinson can play short for now.
                      I don't disagree with you about Nap, but any move that puts Choo in the field more often than not is a bad one IMO. And it's made worse by the fact that Mazara's not particularly well suited for left field in our park. Unfortunately, we have two designated hitters on our roster, who will both need/get at-bats as long as they're healthy. So there's not great solution.

Comment

Mike Napoli career vs Angels: 62 games .343/.449/.690/1.139

Comment

Originally posted by mingjungtc View Post
                          Mike Napoli career vs Angels: 62 games .343/.449/.690/1.139
                          Napoli this season: 6 games. .097/.200/.273/.473

11 strikeouts in 22 AB. Heck Gallo only has 9.

Comment

If you're going to work a way to get Gallo at least 4 starts in 5 then keep him up. if you're not going to then you have to send him down.

Comment

Why not just platoon Gallo/Napoli at 1B and then in other situations like if you want to put Choo on the field let Gallo DH and then other nights let Gallo platoon some at LF with DDS or Profar. I would have him at 1B most nights though bc it makes the most sense long term. Gallo's profile says he's probably not the long term answer at LF but absolutely could be at 1B depending on how he continues to progress. Obviously Nap has looked bad this season but it's still extremely early in. I think not having him out there every night will probably be in his best interest across the season. Look at Mitch Moreland, started out ice cold this season for Boston and now he's on a streak just hitting everything. I'm hoping that'll happen for Napoli and it's probably for the best of the team that he doesn't peak early on anyways.

Comment

Working...
                              X