Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Napoli will be a Ranger!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Napoli will be a Ranger!

    Star Telegram reporting Napoli is a Ranger soon as they clear rister space!

  • #2
    Figured this was a formality. Glad to see the two sides come to an agreement, and that the Rangers seem to have waited him out long enough to keep his deal to one year.

    Comment


    • #3
      Evan Grant@Evan_P_Grant
      Do not have $$ figure yet. Expect less than $10mm

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post
        Figured this was a formality. Glad to see the two sides come to an agreement, and that the Rangers seem to have waited him out long enough to keep his deal to one year.
        I think we all did...and most of Major League Baseball. Now, there will be either a IB "loose platoon' of Napoli / Hamilton / Profar or / Loney.

        This really wraps up the winter for the Rangers unless the Rays want Profar badly enough to offer significant pitching.

        Hoping for Hamilton to significantly contribute seems silly but you never know. He might. If he doesn't emerge someone will.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mingjungtc View Post
          Evan Grant@Evan_P_Grant
          Do not have $$ figure yet. Expect less than $10mm
          I'm eager to see this as well. Carter's camp was clearly waiting for resolution in the Napoli situation to act, as he agreed to a one year, $3 million deal within hours of the Napoli "news" breaking. I hope we didn't give Napoli significantly more than the Yanks gave Carter, though the impact of such a pay gap is mitigated some by the length -- or lack thereof -- of the contract.
          Last edited by dannyboy8517; 02-07-2017, 03:43 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            1 year, $3 mil for Carter. If This Napoli deal is even $3 mil and one penny I'm pissed.
            The Texidor Tornado

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by fireovid View Post
              1 year, $3 mil for Carter. If This Napoli deal is even $3 mil and one penny I'm pissed.
              Prepare to be pissed. Rumor is less than 10 mil. Probably 7 or so plus incentives.

              Comment


              • #8
                7:45pm: Jim Bowden of ESPN and MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM hears that the contract comes with an $8.5MM guarantee and also contains a club option, though he notes that hes still working to confirm those details with a second source (Twitter link).
                Upon acquiring Greg Goosen on waivers from the Dodgers, Mets Manager, Casey Stengel introduced him with "This is Greg Goosen. He's 19 years old, and in 10 years he's got a chance to be 29 ".

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by wufdog View Post
                  7:45pm: Jim Bowden of ESPN and MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM hears that the contract comes with an $8.5MM guarantee and also contains a club option, though he notes that hes still working to confirm those details with a second source (Twitter link).
                  Considering you could have gotten Carter, Byung Ho Park or Pedro Alvarez for less than half that, that's a pretty significant overpay. But Napoli has always hit well in Texas. Hopefully he can put one more good season together and help the Rangers make a deep run in 2017.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by fireovid View Post
                    1 year, $3 mil for Carter. If This Napoli deal is even $3 mil and one penny I'm pissed.
                    Regardless of anyone's views on Carter vs. Napoli, why does it matter if they paid more for Napoli at this point??? It's a one-year deal and we're in February. It's not like there are any obvious gems out there waiting to be snatched up with the savings if they had signed Carter. The roster is pretty full.
                    Sixty percent of the time, I'm right every time.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Tex View Post

                      Regardless of anyone's views on Carter vs. Napoli, why does it matter if they paid more for Napoli at this point??? It's a one-year deal and we're in February. It's not like there are any obvious gems out there waiting to be snatched up with the savings if they had signed Carter. The roster is pretty full.
                      ......in the "pay me now or pay me later" concept.....any monies not spent now are left available for future spending. An extra $4-5 mil could be the difference between making or not making a deadline deal to fill a need.
                      Upon acquiring Greg Goosen on waivers from the Dodgers, Mets Manager, Casey Stengel introduced him with "This is Greg Goosen. He's 19 years old, and in 10 years he's got a chance to be 29 ".

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by wufdog View Post

                        ......in the "pay me now or pay me later" concept.....any monies not spent now are left available for future spending. An extra $4-5 mil could be the difference between making or not making a deadline deal to fill a need.
                        Very true. And lest anyone downplay the importance of an extra $4-5 million at the trade deadline, it should be pointed out that we paid Lucroy the prorated amount of $4 million last season and are paying him $5.25 million this year. Having a little extra cash down the stretch can be the difference between adding reinforcements and not.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          And if the owners can't come up with an extra 4 or 5 million, then they shouldn't own the team. I bet you they would easily come up with that money.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Redcap View Post
                            And if the owners can't come up with an extra 4 or 5 million, then they shouldn't own the team. I bet you they would easily come up with that money.
                            .......yea, I'm sure that's what JD will tell them if he needs money.
                            Upon acquiring Greg Goosen on waivers from the Dodgers, Mets Manager, Casey Stengel introduced him with "This is Greg Goosen. He's 19 years old, and in 10 years he's got a chance to be 29 ".

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by wufdog View Post

                              ......in the "pay me now or pay me later" concept.....any monies not spent now are left available for future spending. An extra $4-5 mil could be the difference between making or not making a deadline deal to fill a need.
                              I have a hard time believing that this ownership group wouldn't put up a few million dollars if faced with an impact deal at the deadline. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't recall a single instance in recent years where the Rangers owners balked in that situation. On the contrary, all signs point to them being very receptive to a well-thought pitch by JD.
                              Sixty percent of the time, I'm right every time.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X