No announcement yet.

Odor for Quintana

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JD had extra signing capability so he signs talent. They decide what to do with it later

Comment

I'm slowly joining the "trade odor" crowd. As much as I like him, I have to think his trade value might be as high as it's likely to get right now. I'm skeptical that he can both significantly improve his OBP and maintain his power. Considering his defense struggles and the fact that we have Profar looking for a position further raises my thinking they should consider cashing in on him if they receiving a compelling offer. Right now I would trade him for Quintana, Archer, or Urias.

That said, they can't trade him and not replace his bat in the lineup. If signing Napoli, Carter, or Trumbo wasn't necessary before, it certainly would be if we traded Odor.

Comment

Originally posted by texassooner1 View Post
        [B]
        Does this signal the adding of depth for the potential of a coming trade of someone or a coming movement of Odor to another position?

If anything it might be a potential successor for Beltre.

Comment

I think he doesn't have the power to replace Beltre / 3B. He is a ML utility player right now. He has also spent time at 2B / SS. Who knows? Maybe he also has the skill to learn OF. He might just be a lesser of Profar.

Gallo is the Beltre replacement currently in the system.

Comment

Originally posted by texassooner1 View Post
            I think he doesn't have the power to replace Beltre / 3B. He is a ML utility player right now. He has also spent time at 2B / SS. Who knows? Maybe he also has the skill to learn OF. He might just be a lesser of Profar.

Gallo is the Beltre replacement currently in the system.
            I'm reading his projections are a utility infielder type and is unlikely to be a regular MLB hitter. He's rated to be ready for AAA immediately. Curious signing, I suppose, unless the front office thinks more highly of him than other scouts.

Comment

Originally posted by RangerDude2016 View Post

I'm reading his projections are a utility infielder type and is unlikely to be a regular MLB hitter. He's rated to be ready for AAA immediately. Curious signing, I suppose, unless the front office thinks more highly of him than other scouts.
              ..........I think they simply viewed him as a bargain signing that could potentially pay future dividends. If not, no big deal.
              Upon acquiring Greg Goosen on waivers from the Dodgers, Mets Manager, Casey Stengel introduced him with "This is Greg Goosen. He's 19 years old, and in 10 years he's got a chance to be 29 ".

Comment

Originally posted by wufdog View Post

..........I think they simply viewed him as a bargain signing that could potentially pay future dividends. If not, no big deal.
                Yup, 100K is nothing in player development. In this year's draft we gave a bonus over 100K to the first nine draft picks and eight picks after that. Our 26th round draft choice, the immortal Tyree Thompson, got 100K to sign.

Comment

Word is Dodgers and Twins has put Dozier talks on hold. If Texas could swoop in an get De Leon or Urias for Odor, it would be a good move.

Comment

Originally posted by RangerDude2016 View Post
                    Word is Dodgers and Twins has put Dozier talks on hold. If Texas could swoop in an get De Leon or Urias for Odor, it would be a good move.
                    mentioned this the other day but unless it is urias you have to get more for odor than deleon because of youth versus dozier

Comment

If there was any chance of getting Urias for Odor+ the Rangers should take it. I think it would have to be something at least as good as Odor and either Jurado or Mendez.

Comment

What makes you think the Dodgers want to give up pitching for hitting? In the National league, pitching is an even bigger determinant to winning the pennant. JD will make a pitching move, but it probably won't be a blockbuster.

Comment

well they offered deleon for dozier all ready. last time I checked he was a pitcher unless he changed positions recently

Comment

Originally posted by rainag View Post
                            well they offered deleon for dozier all ready. last time I checked he was a pitcher unless he changed positions recently
                            Maybe it's because they don't feel he is that great. If he were, why didn't the Twins accept? Better yet, how do you personally feel about DeLeon for Odor? If it sounds bad, then that's all you need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by RangersBamBam View Post

Maybe it's because they don't feel he is that great. If he were, why didn't the Twins accept? Better yet, how do you personally feel about DeLeon for Odor? If it sounds bad, then that's all you need to know.
                              what are you talking about? they didnt accept him only because they wanted more than deleon. It does disprove your point about the dodgers not being willing to trade pitching for hitting. If your point is that urias is not likely to be traded then say it that way. If the ramgers were going to move odor they are going to get way more than deleon as he is younger and has more upside than dozier. a pitcher would have to be a part of the deal though no matter how it would come down

Comment

Some second base options for the Dodgers if they can't get Dozier

Los Angeles is willing to include top pitching prospect Jose De Leon in the trade, but the disagreement comes over the rest of the package. Minnesota reportedly wants another top prospect and the Dodgers are unwilling to do that. (According to Rosenthal, the Twins want more than just De Leon in exchange for Dozier. Likely, they are asking for another top prospect in the Dodgers' farm system, such as first baseman Cody Bellinger or outfielder Alex Verdugo, two young minor leaguers that are deemed "untouchable.").

The High-Upside Option: Jurickson Profar, Rangers

A few years ago Profar, who is still only 23, was the best prospect in all of baseball. Shoulder woes caused him to miss the entire 2014 and 2015 seasons, and when he returned in 2016, he hit only .239/.321/.338 (75 OPS+) with five home runs in 90 games. Texas is hoping Profar's performance rebounds as he gets further away from his shoulder problems.

The Rangers are set at second (Rougned Odor), short (Elvis Andrus), and third (Adrian Beltre), so there's no easy way to get Profar in the lineup. They could play him at first base and DH, which they did last year, but that's not ideal. I imagine Texas is definitely open to trading Profar -- why wouldn't they at least listen? -- especially since their rotation is a wee bit thin. Here is their starting pitching depth chart:

Cole Hamels
                                Yu Darvish
                                Martin Perez
                                Andrew Cashner
                                A.J. Griffin
                                Mike Hauschild (Rule 5 Draft pick)
                                Nick Martinez
                                Chi Chi Gonzalez

The Dodgers have plenty of pitching to offer, like De Leon and Brock Stewart, so there appears to be a trade match, at least on paper. My surplus infielder for your surplus starter. Profar would give Los Angeles a young and exciting option at second going forward. At worst, he's a nice utility guy.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/ml...nt-get-dozier/

Comment

Working...
                                X