No announcement yet.

Who is our next TORP Pitching Prospect?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a very difficult time following the pitching machinations of this coaching staff. I dont think they have a clue. That being said Yu has superior stuff but has no real idea how to use it. maybe if he had a manager that was a pitching guru he could be broken down and rebuilt from a tactical point of view. In our situation it would be very difficult to max out his contract with the results he provides. He simply does not challenge hitters. He pitches from behind so he gets ambushed by lesser hitters. The way he started the inning after getting a lead and walking the leadoff hitter is just maddening. The guy should limit his pitches to three types until he gets to the 6th or seventh inning then break out another pitch to try to fool a tough hitter. Instead he acts like a junkballer where he dinks and dunks hitters throwing more pitches than he should and giving the team less productive innings. Very talented but this staff is not reaching him.

Comment

• I think it's much simpler than that, rainag. I think Darvish just has below-average fastball control and command, particularly for a pitcher of his talent level, and he doesn't trust the pitch. When he needs a strike, he goes to his breaking stuff because he has more confidence in it, which is the opposite of how most pitchers work.

Darvish is still a very good pitcher, and with better relief work yesterday, his line would have been better, but the inconsistency of his fastball from game to game and inning by inning makes him a frustrating guy to watch at times. I'd easily put him in the top five most talented starters in baseball, and he's only once in his career come close to achieving those types of results.

Comment

• His injury took away his split-finger which can be damaging to the elbow ligaments. He didn't use it much, but when he did it always worked for him before his injury problems. He didn't use it all last year. He was going to go back to it this year, but ditched the idea in Spring Training. So, now he has to rely more on his fastball. I think some of the "inconsistent" ones you are seeing may really be his cut fastball, which he seems to be using more.
        Last edited by Flounder1; 04-19-2017, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post
          I think it's much simpler than that, rainag. I think Darvish just has below-average fastball control and command, particularly for a pitcher of his talent level, and he doesn't trust the pitch. When he needs a strike, he goes to his breaking stuff because he has more confidence in it, which is the opposite of how most pitchers work.

Darvish is still a very good pitcher, and with better relief work yesterday, his line would have been better, but the inconsistency of his fastball from game to game and inning by inning makes him a frustrating guy to watch at times. I'd easily put him in the top five most talented starters in baseball, and he's only once in his career come close to achieving those types of results.
          I have to believe a better pitching staff could get more out of this guy. He pitches as though he doesnt have confidence in his ability giving in to lesser hitters and not pitching aggressively. If he is going to be as dominating as he should be he is likely going to need a change in scenery or a new pitching coach. Very frustrating. Now perez on the other hand is just a disaster especially on the road. Another maddening rangers starter. He looks destined to long relief. I think we have seen what we have with hauschild.

Comment

• I almost believe that Darvish has to hit rock bottom to start practicing what these coaches teach. As long as the ERA looks good and the K's are high, he's probably content with the results and will fetch an absurd contract. He belongs in the NL where facing the pitcher every ninth batter will save his pitch count and enable him to pitch into the 7th consistently like an ace should.

Comment

• Brett Martin might be the guy with the best chance to be TORP status by the end of the year. I'd say he's the only one of our closest to being ready pitchers that's untouchable in trade. Mendez, Jurado and Sadzeck have a chance if all goes right but that's about it in the upper minors

Matuella, Speas, Ragans, Evans etc are too far away but we should know more about them by the end of this season. Those 4 should be off limits in trades as well. We just need to keep the young ones and hope we get a star
              Last edited by Toby Harrah; 04-27-2017, 08:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toby Harrah View Post
                Brett Martin might be the guy with the best chance to be TORP status by the end of the year. I'd say he's the only one of our closest to being ready pitchers that's untouchable in trade. Mendez, Jurado and Sadzeck have a chance if all goes right but that's about it in the upper minors

Matuella, Speas, Ragans, Evans etc are too far away but we should know more about them by the end of this season. Those 4 should be off limits in trades as well. We just need to keep the young ones and hope we get a star
                I'd be surprised if any of these guys achieve TORP status, but you need mid-rotation starters too. And if two of three of them can develop into solid No. 3/4 starters, I'll be happy. At this point, we just need some homegrown pitching that we can pencil into the rotation for a four- or five-year period that doesn't make us want to pull our hair out. If we can find three young, cheap options to round out the rotation, we should be able to come up with the money and/or prospects necessary to sign/trade for a couple of headliners.

Comment

• The Rangers should be able to budget a headliner next year and it could be Darvish. We'll still have Hamels, Perez, Griffin and Martinez. We need a couple more to either round out the rotation or provide depth. That's coming. The Rangers will continue to have a good team. Once we sweep these Angels and Astros things will look better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toby Harrah View Post
                    Brett Martin might be the guy with the best chance to be TORP status by the end of the year. I'd say he's the only one of our closest to being ready pitchers that's untouchable in trade. Mendez, Jurado and Sadzeck have a chance if all goes right but that's about it in the upper minors

big day today. matuella pitches in hickory

Comment

• How many years have the Rangers been in a position in which 3 middle of the rotation type pitchers along with 2 end of the rotation types would have put this team into the playoffs?

Comment

• you need to develop middle and end of rotation guys just to keep starting pitching cheap. look what we are paying for ross and cashner. Those back three positions mean a lot payroll wise and help pay for the front two.

Comment

• Tepid Participation @TepidP
                          Matuella battles back from 3-0 to K the final hitter. Struck out the side, all swinging. Injury Gods: please, please have mercy on us.

Comment

Working...
                          X