No announcement yet.

Who is our next TORP Pitching Prospect?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is our next TORP Pitching Prospect?

When we traded Dillon Tate and Luis Ortiz it looked like we didn’t have any starter prospects with TORP potential. We definitely have good prospects with the upside of a 3rd or 4th starter like Chi Chi, Ariel Jurado, Yohander Mendez, etc.

So who could break out next year as a potential TORP prospect? The farm seems barren but we actually have more than a few guys with the raw talent to break out. This is my list -

Brett Martin – Jamey rates him as our 3rd best prospect, he is a LH that threw a completely dominant start with 15 Ks in his last start in the High-A Playoffs.

Conner Sadzeck – Throw 100 mph and has the big sturdy frame you want in a starter. He has other pitches but needs innings and refinement, this year he was still recovering from injuries. Could make a big jump next year if even one of his other pitches clicks, and could be a bullpen weapon even if he only as the FB.

Mike Matuella – just now throwing again, he was rated as the top pitcher in his draft before injuries. Clearly a TORP prospect if healthy, his FB hits the high 90’s and he has three other pitches. Obviously a big If however.

Alex Speas – scouting reports said he had a 98 mph Doc Gooden fastball but not much else. Already rated in our top ten prospects at age 18.

David Perez – has always had exceptional stuff but has never been healthy. Showed flashes of brilliance in AA last season but has never put together a full season. Still only 23 years old however.

Demarcus Evans and CD Pelham – small town guys in the mold of Carl Edwards Jr that have a big fastball but need a ton of development.

Jake Lemoine – 4th round pick that the team had rated in the top 20 of that draft. Big RH with a mid-90’s FB who already has an average breaking ball and change.

I think most are rating Ariel Jurado and Cole Ragans higher than all those but Mendez. They are very young and inexperienced in pro ball, and likely not ready until 2018, 2019 or even later. Same with Martin, though, who ranks in that group. Matuella is probably left off most lists because of the injury. The others you don't read much about. Thinking about who might help the team this year it would most likely be Mendez or Sadzeck. They are closer to ready to pitch in the majors. The others are either really young or pitchers you don't see on many lists of good prospects.

Mendez is our only top 100 prospect at MLB.com. So, not a lot of excitement on the farm these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post
      I think most are rating Ariel Jurado and Cole Ragans higher than all those but Mendez.
      I think all three of those guys are #3/#4 types though, I was thinking of the high upside TORP prospect that Tate had a shot to be. I like Jurado the most out of the three you list, though Ragans probably has the most upside.

Comment

The first step toward developing a homegrown TORP is not trade them away.

Comment

Karl of Delaware (Georgetown, Delaware): Of the pitchers moving from short season and rookie teams to Hickory, who are your favorites?

Ben Badler: Ragans and Speas are the two big ones. Kyle Cody and Tyler Phillips would be two arms more under the radar to keep an eye on there next year.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/texas-rangers-top-10-prospects-chat-2/#3TDCrEMFcqPgGfze.97

Comment

Japanese pitcher Shohei Otani says he could move to Major League Baseball after the 2017 season.

The 22-year-old right-hander, who has also shown potential as a hitter, signed a $2.37 million contract for next season with the Nippon Ham Fighters on Monday.

Otani will not become eligible for free agency until after the 2021 season. He will need the Fighters' approval to negotiate with a major league club through the posting system before that time.

"We discussed the possibility of me going," he said. "... The club will respect my wishes whenever I decide I want to go."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...lb-2017-season

Comment

Originally posted by mingjungtc View Post
              Japanese pitcher Shohei Otani says he could move to Major League Baseball after the 2017 season.

The 22-year-old right-hander, who has also shown potential as a hitter, signed a $2.37 million contract for next season with the Nippon Ham Fighters on Monday.

Otani will not become eligible for free agency until after the 2021 season. He will need the Fighters' approval to negotiate with a major league club through the posting system before that time.

"We discussed the possibility of me going," he said. "... The club will respect my wishes whenever I decide I want to go."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...lb-2017-season
              ...........with his talent for hitting, I'd be very surprised if he signs with an AL team.
              Upon acquiring Greg Goosen on waivers from the Dodgers, Mets Manager, Casey Stengel introduced him with "This is Greg Goosen. He's 19 years old, and in 10 years he's got a chance to be 29 ".

Comment

why would you tell him he couldnt play two ways? I would rather him be an outfielder and a relief pitcher if he couldnt start and play the outfield. The guy is very talented. I would tell him we have an open mind to how we would deploy him. If I am Texas I would rather go after this guy than sign darvish.

Comment

Originally posted by wufdog View Post

...........with his talent for hitting, I'd be very surprised if he signs with an AL team.
                  Why not? The AL teams could easily use him at DH and there would be less of a chance of him being hurt playing in the field. I doubt he'd be satisfied batting every 5th day when he pitched. Besides, from what I understand, the NL is soon to go to the DH.

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap View Post

Why not? The AL teams could easily use him at DH and there would be less of a chance of him being hurt playing in the field. I doubt he'd be satisfied batting every 5th day when he pitched. Besides, from what I understand, the NL is soon to go to the DH.
                    ...........I don't think any team is going to pay TORP prices fro him and let him play elsewhere 4 days out of 5.
                    Upon acquiring Greg Goosen on waivers from the Dodgers, Mets Manager, Casey Stengel introduced him with "This is Greg Goosen. He's 19 years old, and in 10 years he's got a chance to be 29 ".

Comment

...........I don't think any team is going to pay TORP prices fro him and let him play elsewhere 4 days out of 5.

I doubt it too. Fun to think about though.

How about a pitcher who was so good he could be a 4th outfielder? Such a two-way guy could permit you to carry an extra pitcher on your roster.

I'm not suggesting it...I don't even know the first thing about this Japanese player. Just interesting if a guy had Rick Ankiel type abilities and could really hit.

I know it won't happen for a number of reasons!

Comment

I'd easily let him hit at DH. I really wouldn't let him play in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post

I think all three of those guys are #3/#4 types though, I was thinking of the high upside TORP prospect that Tate had a shot to be. I like Jurado the most out of the three you list, though Ragans probably has the most upside.
                          OIC. They are going to need someone to break out and soon. They are headed for disaster after this season if something good doesn't happen on the farm. I understand it doesn't take long to retool like the Yankees did this year. What will take a long time is getting those guys into the majors and ready to be champions. Even after improving their farm greatly, they are years away. They have very little reason to spend like the Yankees for quite some time. The Rangers are headed towards such a situation without some player development surprises.

I hope the Rangers have a great season and are able to reboot the team quickly I'd hate to see that new stadium being the only attraction.

Comment

I'd love to hang on to a few of our pitching prospects just to see if there's a Kyle Hendricks in there. Remember, Hendricks didn't have more than a ceiling of a mid rotation starter.

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap View Post
                              I'd love to hang on to a few of our pitching prospects just to see if there's a Kyle Hendricks in there. Remember, Hendricks didn't have more than a ceiling of a mid rotation starter.
                              Good point. And others like him. It's going to be real interesting to see how many Hendricks were in this last batch JD traded away.

Comment

Working...
                              X