No announcement yet.

Andrew Cashner Signing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A QO is definitely in play here. I also think some of the contract offers thrown out here are woefully low, especially if he gets in 2-3 more quality starts to end the season. I think 3 years at $45mm is the starting point for what Cashner has shown this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by RangerDude2016 View Post

It was reported that Texas was taking offers for Cashner. So unless you think Texas decided to trade their ace and starting catcher but, for whatever reason, randomly decided to turn down offers for Andrew Fricken' Cashner, there was no interest in the guy.
      The Dud continues to push a blindlingly stupid narrative.

The Rangers traded Lucroy because the team was better with Chirinos getting his ABs and because Lucroy had declined on both offense and defense. They traded him because the team was better without him, as was the case with Jeffress. Would the team be better trading Cashner to start Nick Martinez?

The Rangers traded Darvish because they got two players in trade that were better than the 2nd round compensation pick they would get back if he left as a FA, plus a third prospect who is around that level. Its also likely they decided that trading him wouldn't impact the chances of resigning him a FA.

Last edited by Kaisersoze; 09-12-2017, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redcap View Post
        Maybe something in between like 4 years 40 million? Or 3 year at 36 with an option for 4?
        Daniels is very good about working vesting options and incentives into the contract, I think its very likely its a contract like these terms with some options built in that protect the Rangers from the downside.

Comment

• Originally posted by saclare View Post
          A QO is definitely in play here. I also think some of the contract offers thrown out here are woefully low, especially if he gets in 2-3 more quality starts to end the season. I think 3 years at $45mm is the starting point for what Cashner has shown this season.
          We'll see. I think teams will be more leery of his success than you seem to. I think it's at least somewhat telling that no one offered much at the deadline for him. And as long as he's working with a sub-5 K/9 and 1.25 WHIP, there will be a healthy skepticism regarding his ability to repeat this year's success. I think he'll get a solid deal. Three years at $12 or $13 million per wouldn't surprise me at all. But once you get up in the $15 million range, you're generally talking about guys with longer track records and less volatility than what Cashner's been for his career.

All that said, I hope the Rangers do extend him. He's been fantastic this year and should profile, at worst, as an effective back-end starter for the next three years. If we could get him locked up before the free agency madness really heats up at a deal like the one I described above, it would take a lot of pressure off JD to rebuild the rest of the rotation.
          Last edited by dannyboy8517; 09-12-2017, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post

We'll see. I think teams will be more leery of his success than you seem to. I think it's at least somewhat telling that no one offered much at the deadline for him. And as long as he's working with a sub-5 K/9 and 1.25 WHIP, there will be a healthy skepticism regarding his ability to repeat this year's success. I think he'll get a solid deal. Three years at $12 or $13 million per wouldn't surprise me at all. But once you get up in the $15 million range, you're generally talking about guys with longer track records and less volatility than what Cashner's been for his career.

All that said, I hope the Rangers do extend him. He's been fantastic this year and should profile, at worst, as an effective back-end starter for the next three years. If we could get him locked up before the free agency madness really heats up at a deal like the one I described above, it would take a lot of pressure off JD to rebuild the rest of the rotation.
            Oh, me too. I've been saying that I hope he becomes our new Colby Lewis type mid-rotation starter who eats innings up. I just don't see it coming as cheaply as others are guessing. In either instance, he sounds like he wants to be a Ranger, and I believe he will be. I just find the annual figure closer to $15mm than $12mm. Fair point by you, though. We will have to see how the market treats these starters this off season.

Comment

• What will hurt Cashner is that there are quite a few pitchers in FA market.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post

The Dud continues to push a blindlingly stupid narrative.

The Rangers traded Lucroy because the team was better with Chirinos getting his ABs and because Lucroy had declined on both offense and defense. They traded him because the team was better without him, as was the case with Jeffress. Would the team be better trading Cashner to start Nick Martinez?

The Rangers traded Darvish because they got two players in trade that were better than the 2nd round compensation pick they would get back if he left as a FA, plus a third prospect who is around that level. Its also likely they decided that trading him wouldn't impact the chances of resigning him a FA.

You don't trade your ace pitcher who is a pending free agent and then turn down offers for your #3 or #4 pitcher who is a pending free agent.

There were reports that Texas was taking offers and open to trading Casher. What The Dude hasn't heard reported is if any Teams actually made an offer.

Even the return Darvish got was pretty low in The Dude's humble opinion. There was just no interest in Cashner.

Comment

• Originally posted by saclare View Post

Oh, me too. I've been saying that I hope he becomes our new Colby Lewis type mid-rotation starter who eats innings up. I just don't see it coming as cheaply as others are guessing. In either instance, he sounds like he wants to be a Ranger, and I believe he will be. I just find the annual figure closer to $15mm than $12mm. Fair point by you, though. We will have to see how the market treats these starters this off season.
                  If you want an innings eater, Cashner ain't it. Guy has never thrown 185 innings in a season and is constantly dealing with injuries.

Comment

• Anyone still think Gonzalez gets 8 million? I'd rather have Holland right now. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

If you want an innings eater, Cashner ain't it. Guy has never thrown 185 innings in a season and is constantly dealing with injuries.
                      Fair point. I'll reword and say I just want a dependable, solid MORP. Cashner will provide that and hopefully at a price that fits both parties needs.

Comment

You don't trade your ace pitcher who is a pending free agent and then turn down offers for your #3 or #4 pitcher who is a pending free agent.

There were reports that Texas was taking offers and open to trading Casher. What The Dude hasn't heard reported is if any Teams actually made an offer.

Even the return Darvish got was pretty low in The Dude's humble opinion. There was just no interest in Cashner.

The Dud has probably never heard of toothpaste, much less what offers Jon Daniels gets in trade.

Newsflash, the Rangers didn't trade anyone except Darvish that was useful to the team. The "firesale" scenarios only happened on Internet message boards while in reality the Rangers didn't trade anyone that was contributing. Except Darvish, which is a very unique case.

Comment

• Question: Which player on the roster do you think is the best tradeable asset for next year? Not too high on Texas making the playoffs then either, Kevin.

Kevin Sherrington: Well, I think you have to consider that, other than Cleveland, Boston, New York and Houston, it's been pretty wide open. If the Rangers had had a few breaks this year, they'd have been a wild card team. They may yet, although I wouldn't bet on it. Evan Grant and I discussed this yesterday on our @Ballzypodcast. The lineup looks pretty good for next year if it's this: Beltre at third, Elvis at short, Roogie at second, Gallo at first, Calhoun in left, DeShields in CF, Mazara in right. Chirinos at catcher, Choo at DH. Not a particularly good defensive team, especially in the OF. Also extremely lefty. But it should hit. They need to re-sign Cashner, which will be difficult. I'd have thought he'd go to Houston, because it's closer to home and the Astros are better. But the Astros may not have any money left. They've got to pay Verlander $28M a year for the next couple. What Daniels has to do is make a big splash. He's either got to sign Otani or acquire a proven closer. If he can do one or the other or both, the Rangers immediately become contenders again. They're not going to have to bottom out in this rebuild.

Question: Do you think Joey Gallo would be a better third baseman or first baseman at the MLB level?

Kevin Sherrington: No question, a better first baseman. He's a really good athlete with a good arm. In fact, he plays a very nice OF. Problem is his size. He's awfully big for a third baseman. Making the throws from the angles it requires, especially on bunts and slow rollers, is really difficult for a man who goes 6-5. I think you probably also prevent him from wearing down by playing first instead of the OF. He's a good first baseman, and he'll get better.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/tex...s-magic-lineup

Comment

• Originally posted by mingjungtc View Post
                            What Daniels has to do is make a big splash. He's either got to sign Otani or acquire a proven closer. If he can do one or the other or both, the Rangers immediately become contenders again. They're not going to have to bottom out in this rebuild.
                            Will it really be that hard to acquire a closer?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaisersoze
                              The Dud continues to push a blindlingly stupid narrative. The Rangers traded Lucroy because the team was better with Chirinos getting his ABs and because Lucroy had declined on both offense and defense. They traded him because the team was better without him, as was the case with Jeffress. Would the team be better trading Cashner to start Nick Martinez? The Rangers traded Darvish because they got two players in trade that were better than the 2nd round compensation pick they would get back if he left as a FA, plus a third prospect who is around that level. Its also likely they decided that trading him wouldn't impact the chances of resigning him a FA.
                              I hope your joking about Nick Martinez. The guy is only good for innings even you're getting beat by 8 runs. That's the only time he should be on the mound.

Comment

• Originally posted by pibrew View Post
                                I hope your joking about Nick Martinez. The guy is only good for innings even you're getting beat by 8 runs. That's the only time he should be on the mound.
                                I think you misread that, I said the team is better off starting Cashner than Nick Martinez. I don't think anyone would argue that point (except The Dud).

My point is that the trades they made were either A) Darvish - which is a special case or B) dropping dead weight like Lucroy or Jeffries.

They didn't trade anyone who was contributing to the stretch run and if they catch a few more breaks they go into the last week of the season competing for a wild card. That was the goal this year after the horrible start.

The Dud saying Cashner wasn't traded, ergo he has no value is completely made up. The Rangers didn't trade anyone who was still a core piece of the team (except Darvish) and even if they got good offers, they have more reasons to keep Cashner because he is comfortable in Texas and they want to resign him.

Comment

Working...
                                X