Andrew Cashner Signing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew Cashner Signing

Surprised no one has posted this, guys like TR Sullivan have said on Twitter that the Rangers are signing Andrew Cashner tomorrow for one year at ten million.

Definitely a good bounceback candidate and the Rangers have done well scouting ML pitchers lately, but that seems like a high price to pay. It also makes me think that the theories posted here about Holland have more injuries than people think are probably true if they gave a guy like Cashner the same salary Holland was scheduled to make.

Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post
    Surprised no one has posted this, guys like TR Sullivan have said on Twitter that the Rangers are signing Andrew Cashner tomorrow for one year at ten million.

Definitely a good bounceback candidate and the Rangers have done well scouting ML pitchers lately, but that seems like a high price to pay. It also makes me think that the theories posted here about Holland have more injuries than people think are probably true if they gave a guy like Cashner the same salary Holland was scheduled to make.
    .........yep, excluding health....paying Cashner $10 mil or Holland $9.5 mil seems like a coin flip decision....though Cashner hasn't pitched in the AL nor had to endure a Texas summer. Additionally, with the exception of Colorado, the NL West (and particularly San Diego) rank as the most pitcher friendly environment on the planet. Without knowing for sure, it sure seems like JD knows something about Holland's health that the rest of us can only guess at.
    Upon acquiring Greg Goosen on waivers from the Dodgers, Mets Manager, Casey Stengel introduced him with "This is Greg Goosen. He's 19 years old, and in 10 years he's got a chance to be 29 ".

Comment

I can see why, to Holland, a one-year deal with the Pirates would be an attractive proposition. It's a little harder to see what the Pirates would get out of it. Perhaps they could conclude that his problems were mostly mechanical, or that they could somehow remake him into a two-seam pitcher who doesn't need the mid-90s velocity he once had. Personally, as an outsider, I'd prefer Andrew Cashner, whose cost should be similar -- Cashner has been healthier, throws harder and gets more grounders.

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2016/11/12...rested-in-bucs

6. Ian Desmond, $64 million, four years. After last winter’s disaster, he should score bigly. Desmond has proved to be a decent center fielder, so with added versatility, he showed have many more suitors. The Rangers love him.

16. Mike Napoli, $26 million, two years. Any number of teams should be thrilled to party at Napoli’s. The Indians would like a reunion, but he may be a little rich for their blood.

17. Carlos Gomez, $25 million, two years. This one could be anything, because at his best he’s better than Fowler and an $80-million player. And early last year, well … He did resurrect things in Texas after struggling in Houston, and it seems his decision to discard his prescription glasses may have helped. The Rangers like him.

21. Carlos Beltran, $18 million, one year. The man can still hit, and he can still fill an outfield spot even if he isn’t what he once was defensively. The Red Sox look like a pretty good fit.

33. Colby Lewis, $14 million, two years. Say what you want, but the fellow manages to win.

36. Neftali Feliz, $12 million, two years. Exceptional talent, though career doesn’t quite match it.

48. Andrew Cashner, $7 million, one year. A project for his agents. Good luck.

50. Derek Holland, $7 million, one year. The Rangers found no takers around $11 million, so there’s a hint. Needs to steer clear of his dog.

Ian Kinsler is drawing interest from the Dodgers, Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports. Makes sense. They need righty bats. Brian Dozier would fit the Dodgers’ need for righty pop, too.

One interesting pitcher who’s been off the radar is Justin Masterson. He is said now to be fully healthy for the first time in awhile.

John Danks is looking to make a comeback after taking most of last year off. He is still young, and in this market, may look pretty good.

http://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/heym...tract-guesses/

Comment

Originally posted by mingjungtc View Post

33. Colby Lewis, $14 million, two years. Say what you want, but the fellow manages to win.

36. Neftali Feliz, $12 million, two years. Exceptional talent, though career doesn’t quite match it.

48. Andrew Cashner, $7 million, one year. A project for his agents. Good luck.

50. Derek Holland, $7 million, one year. The Rangers found no takers around $11 million, so there’s a hint. Needs to steer clear of his dog.
        ........if Colby gets a 2 year deal that'll tell you everything you need to know about the current market. Cashner at $7 mil....who was doing the negotiating....Tom Hicks? When it comes to Holland, if his meds hold up, I'd offer somewhere around $5 mil with incentives based on IP that could take him up to $9 mil at 180 innings.
        Upon acquiring Greg Goosen on waivers from the Dodgers, Mets Manager, Casey Stengel introduced him with "This is Greg Goosen. He's 19 years old, and in 10 years he's got a chance to be 29 ".

Comment

Originally posted by wufdog View Post

........if Colby gets a 2 year deal that'll tell you everything you need to know about the current market. Cashner at $7 mil....who was doing the negotiating....Tom Hicks? When it comes to Holland, if his meds hold up, I'd offer somewhere around $5 mil with incentives based on IP that could take him up to $9 mil at 180 innings.
          I figure there are a few mystery medical guys who might be worth a try. Brett Anderson and CJ Wilson come to mind. I'm sure there are more. Recall last November the A's were ditching Griffin and he gave us some good innings for awhile once the 2016 season got going. What a mess this pitching is this year. Normally you have about five guys everyone is fighting over to figure out who can pay them the most. This year there isn't a lot of sense in doing much more than waiting until the last minute to pick up a few scraps because the scraps are going to be about as good as the first ones to sign. Ten million! Such madness!

Comment

Everyone is so negative on these boards, Cashner has certainly been a bright point.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleshipTx View Post
              Everyone is so negative on these boards, Cashner has certainly been a bright point.
              Cashner's done a good job so far. If he and Griffin can continue to throw well, the Rangers' rotation could be really good by the time Ross returns.

Comment

So far so good. Cashner seems to have taken well to the manager and pitching coach. He might benefit from the change of scenery like Holland has. Everyone wins.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleshipTx View Post
                  He has so far and it looks like a great signing at this point. Another reason to trust the front office.

Comment

He has the sinker ball working. And I saw his velocity flash a little last night. Would be huge to get a good chunk of innings out of him this season. Heck, I surprised he got through 6 innings seeing how many pitches he racked up through the first 4 innings. I think the only thing missing is that his command should improve as he goes on.

Comment

Griffin on 10-day DL retroactive to April 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder1 View Post
                        Griffin on 10-day DL retroactive to April 18.
                        With gout, of all things. Apparently, A.J. doesn't just pitch like a fat, middle-aged man. He is one.

For the record, I love A.J. Griffin and the way he goes straight after hitters with his 86-88 mph fastball. This is meant strictly as a joke.

Comment

I guess he needs more iodine in his diet.

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap View Post
                            I guess he needs more iodine in his diet.
                            Clearly a lack of jumping jacks.

Comment

Yep, need those jumping jacks to keep the blood circulating in the feet and ankles. Don't forget to drink plenty of water and lay off the beer and cheap carbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X