Odor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post

I don't dislike Profar. I've just never been enamored by his -- or anybody else's -- prospect ranking. If he'd ever live up to his supposed talent level, I'm sure I'd like him very much. But until then, he's a bit player and should be viewed as such.
    danny throwing out a bunch of meager stats for people that have had sporadic playing time really doesnt strengthen your case. None of these guys have played much during their career. saying his numbers are comparable to theirs only means none have established themselves,enough to assume a starting role

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyboy8517 View Post

Who's fault is it that he can't get on the field? He's currently being blocked by Ryan Rua (.708 career OPS, 0.8 career WAR), Delino DeShields (.674 career OPS, 0.7 career WAR) and Joey Gallo (.670 career OPS, 0.1 career WAR). It shouldn't bet that hard to get your azz off the bench when competing with that bunch. The playing time is there, and Banister's choosing others with lower ceilings. That's an indictment of Profar, not a defense of him.
      ...like I said, playing time is everything.....you can't compete if you don't play. Frankly, Banny is not doing any of these guys a favor while he's playing "who has the hot hand boogie".
      Upon acquiring Greg Goosen on waivers from the Dodgers, Mets Manager, Casey Stengel introduced him with "This is Greg Goosen. He's 19 years old, and in 10 years he's got a chance to be 29 ".

Comment

• Originally posted by rainag View Post

danny throwing out a bunch of meager stats for people that have had sporadic playing time really doesnt strengthen your case. None of these guys have played much during their career. saying his numbers are comparable to theirs only means none have established themselves,enough to assume a starting role
        That's the point. Profar is battling with other unproven players and can't separate himself. What does that say about the way management views him? If he was as good as many here believe him to be, Banister would be an idiot to give his playing time to moderately talented platoon players, no? At some point, it's up to the player to earn playing time with his play. Profar has had opportunities to do so and hasn't been able to yet. That doesn't mean he's incapable of doing it or couldn't in the future. But time's running out in this organization. And if/when it does, it will be on Profar, not the Rangers.

Comment

• The problem is that Profar isn't getting consistent playing time... both Mazara and Odor did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post

Bumpa Bumpa Bumpa.

Evan Grant had a great point about Gallo, that two run single was the first time he has gotten a hit on an 0-2 count. You definitely see a better approach from Gallo this year.
            He just needs to build more confidence to go to two strikes. He's not going to see as many pitches if he's afraid to go there. You have just as much chance of hitting the ball on the third strike as on the first or second. The odds don't change. I fact, the pitcher wants to get you out, so he might be more inclined to throw a strike after he has two strikes on the batter. He needs to talk to Lucroy about all that. You can see it on his face. He looks calmer with one strike than none and even more calm with two strikes on him. If we ever decided to have four strikes instead of three, he'd probably lay down in the batter's box and take a nap after three. Like Perry Como. Having strikes relaxes him that much. He probably counts strikes to fall asleep at night like some people count sheep.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufdog View Post

...like I said, playing time is everything.....you can't compete if you don't play. Frankly, Banny is not doing any of these guys a favor while he's playing "who has the hot hand boogie".
              He likes to play his entire bench and the ABs will be sorted out as the season goes on and all three guys fill in for others who are injured. But right now it doesn't help any of the three and criticizing Profar is kind of comical.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post

He likes to play his entire bench and the ABs will be sorted out as the season goes on and all three guys fill in for others who are injured. But right now it doesn't help any of the three and criticizing Profar is kind of comical.
                My thoughts, as well.

Comment

• very good at bat by gallo in the 4th and a stolen base to boot. profar base hit for an rbi. young guys contributing
                  Last edited by rainag; 04-13-2017, 03:19 PM.

Comment

very good at bat by gallo in the 4th and a stolen base to boot. profar base hit for an rbi. young guys contributing
                    Gallo's giving a good at-bat just about every time now. He took all three plate appearances today to full counts, and his last two strikeouts came on a tough 3-2 splitter Wednesday night and a called strike three that should have been ball four. He's doing good work right now.

I've always said that I like Gallo's plate discipline and his power speaks for itself. It's always been a matter making enough contact on pitches in the zone to allow those two attributes to play. He's finally doing that, and I hope the Rangers reward his progress there with continued playing time.
                    Last edited by dannyboy8517; 04-13-2017, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyboy8517
                      Gallo's giving a good at-bat just about every time now. He took all three plate appearances today to full counts, and his last two strikeouts came on a tough 3-2 splitter Wednesday night and a called strike three that should have been ball four. He's doing good work right now. I've always said that I like Gallo's plate discipline and his power speaks for itself. It's always been a matter making enough contact on pitches in the zone to allow those two attributes to play. He's finally doing that, and I hope the Rangers reward his progress there with continued playing time.
                      Beltre's calf seems to agree. Looks like that extended opportunity will end up speaking for itself.

Comment

very good at bat by gallo in the 4th and a stolen base to boot. profar base hit for an rbi. young guys contributing
                        Exciting time for those guys. My money is on Gallo establishing himself as a permanent future piece

Comment

• Odor looked ridiculous during his at bar in the 9th. Over swinging rather. But Napoli and Lucroy didn't look much better. The Rangers are going to look back on some of these games and have nightmares. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Let's not forget we're playing without a future HOF guy and Hernandez is a very good pitcher. Leclerc was great striking out the side. Odor usually would have made that play when Leclerc was pitching in the seventh. I thought Jeffress looked good tonight. They are going to Leclerc and Jeffress a lot, and they are rewarding Banister's decisions.

It was a close game that no one should feel bad about. Elvis is like magic these days. Gallo has his strikeout rate down to 31.6%. Not too bad for him. He's improving every game it seems. A guy like him can be very valuable if he can get that strikeout rate just a little lower. He's no Adrian Beltre, yet, but he's doing a good job of filling in and the sky is the limit for him.

The Rangers need to even up their record before playing Houston early May. Everyone knows how the Rangers dominate the Astros. They can start making up these losses when they sweep the Astros. They are starting to get it all together to do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by pibrew View Post
                              Odor looked ridiculous during his at bar in the 9th. Over swinging rather. But Napoli and Lucroy didn't look much better. The Rangers are going to look back on some of these games and have nightmares. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              It's a long season. The Rangers are leading the league in runs scored and have the second-best starting pitching ERA behind Kansas City. They got stung by a couple of bad ninth innings, but things even out over the long season. If the Rangers keep doing what they are doing, can solidify that bullpen a little and not waver, they are going to win a lot of games. I'm looking at the Astros and don't see how they are holding it together. I see a collapse coming for them. The bottom of their rotation is weak, and they don't have depth there at all with all their injuries. Their bullpen walks too many batters. We've got a lot of pitching to try out, and lots of arms stockpiled for the long haul. You can already see things coming together for an awesome season for the Rangers. Let's just hope Cashner has his arm soreness behind him and can be a factor. If not, the Rangers aren't hurting with so many good pitchers coming along. Anything happens to the Astros pitching and they are sunk, with nothing they can do but trade away their entire farm system. That would be good, too. The Rangers will outlast them.

Comment

• What do you expect these guys to do? Felix was getting strike calls on balls 3 inches out of the zone whereas Martin wasn't getting even those right on the edge.

Comment

Working...
                                X