Odor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odor

One of the main goals this off season should be to sign Odor to a long term deal.

If you project post all star break numbers to a full season you get the following:

HR 29 RBI 90 3B 17 2B 31 with an OPS of 0.833.

Those numbers would have been the best of any player at 2B. The only one where he would not have led all of baseball for was doubles. And this was in the season where he was playing at the age of 21. He could even be better than this next year with a year more maturity and will play the entire season at the age of 22.

I am aware that he is under team control until after the 2020 season. The team may also be a little worried after getting burned by Andrus' contract. This is different. This situation is more like what the Rangers did with Martin Perez. They offered Perez
    • 14:$0.75M, 15:$1M, 16:$2.9M, 17:$4.4M, 18:$6M club option ($2.45M buyout), 19:$7.5M club option ($0.75M buyout), 20:$9M club option ($0.25M buyout)

If the club wanted to offer Odor a contract that was 1.5 times what they offered Perez then that would be a huge bargain. This is especially true with buyout options. If they do not then they will have to try to re-sign a free agent who is 27 years old. If he continues on this path then he could get a contract like what Cano got at the age of 30.

The longer the team waits on an extension for Odor the more expensive it will get.

Is it time to offer and Odor an extension? And if so then what would it be?

Rumor was they are talking.

Comment

I'm not hot on the idea of extending Odor yet. I think teams have better leverage with pitchers in this situation because their arms are ticking time bombs. But as we saw with Elvis, hitters usually aren't interested in a discount.
      Sixty percent of the time, I'm right every time.

Comment

Was it this past season or the one before we had to send Odor down to AAA to get his head screwed on straight?

Comment

Originally posted by BattleshipTx View Post
          Was it this past season or the one before we had to send Odor down to AAA to get his head screwed on straight?
          The past season. He did a month at RR starting in early May after he was hitting to the tune of .150 to begin the year.

Comment

Odor doesn't come up for arbitration until 2018. That's when the Rangers need to start talking longer term contracts.

Comment

There are many good second basemen in the majors, but 2016 is the year Rougned Odor becomes the best, or at least the best offensive second baseman.
              If our experts are right, Mike Trout will take his game to a new level, and the A's will ship their ace to the AL East. We continue our bold predictions with a look at the American League.

Comment

Question: I'm against Rangers trying to extend Odor's contract because he just hasn't proven himself yet for multiple seasons. What say you?

Fraley: In the opposite camp. Rougned Odor is going to be an All-Star. Better to lock him up now. The price is not coming down. It never does.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texa...drus-case-yips

Maybe more importantly, at age 21, Odor is already showing signs of being a clubhouse leader. He plays with a fierce edge and looks to have all kinds of Adrian Beltre in his makeup and character, which of course is an awesome thing.

He will almost certainly be an all-star in the next 2-3 years at second base, and it's for that reason the Rangers might not want to press their luck with him and lock him up while it's still relatively cheap to do so.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/red-feve...363277781.html

From Hitting to Sliding, the Rangers’ Rougned Odor Inspires--- New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/12/sp...ires.html?_r=0

Comment

Originally posted by xintx View Post
                  There are many good second basemen in the majors, but 2016 is the year Rougned Odor becomes the best, or at least the best offensive second baseman.

Six time all star, career average .307 Robinson Cano does still play second base, right? I don't think Odor will be the best offensive 2nd baseman in 2016.

Comment

Six time all star, career average .307 Robinson Cano does still play second base, right? I don't think Odor will be the best offensive 2nd baseman in 2016.
                    Cano was a beast in the 2nd half, which made me believe the story about his first 1.5 years in Seattle being affected by a terrible stomach illness. So yeah, I think he'll regain the no-brainer crown as best offensive 2B this year.

I like Odor, but I'm not sure I buy into all the praise being heaped on him this winter. He still strikes me as rough around the edges. At age 21, I think we'll still see some growing pains in 2016.

Comment

I thought that quote seemed like a stretch, but he did have a better slugging percentage than cano.

Comment

Odor is encouraging but we still don't know who he will become any more than we knew who Andrus would become after his early good signs.

Comment

he ranked high in slugging last year for 2B. I'd be fine with more of the same

Comment

Originally posted by texassooner1 View Post
                            Odor is encouraging but we still don't know who he will become any more than we knew who Andrus would become after his early good signs.
                            far different player. much more upside with the bat. less capable defensively. much more of a dirtdog. tough. gives no ground. born leader.

Comment

Odor seemed to get better all season long, even in the postseason. Better and better with every at-bat, every ball he fielded, it seemed to me. If he can build on that, wow... what an incredible player! I'm pretty excited about seeing Odor play this year. This is a great team.

Comment

Working...
                              X