Bad Trades Haunt Us

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Trades Haunt Us

JD says Rangers need to address pitching before other issues. Here's an idea, stop trading great pitching for nothing. We could use Neil Ramirez (1.44 ERA last year), Tanner Roark (2.85 ERA last year), Kyle Hendricks (2.46 ERA last year), Justin Grimm (3.78 ERA last year), and CJ Edwards (2.35 ERA in minors last year). But, you might ask, didn't JD get something in return for all of those great young arms? We got zilch! Unless you think Ryan Dempster, Matt Garza, and Christian Guzman are worth something.

To make matters worse, we threw others into those trades. That's right, the beating is worse than it even looks. But, certainly we have salary flexibility normally associated with last place teams. Wrong. We have Prince Fielder and Sin Soo Choo salaries for years to come thanks to JD.

Good point. That is what is forcing the Rangers into the free agent market for pitching and what is running up costs. JD has not been very good on the trade front or the free agent front, lately. It's not like the Berkman free agent deal worked out. In fact, I think it lost us 2013 when we could have had a better player than him. Heck, just about anyone would have been better and pushed us a game up on the A's that year! Now that the damage is done, the only way to correct it is to spend the money on a pitcher and hold on to our prospects.

Comment

JD claims we are looking for "young controllable" starting pitchers? I wonder if he stops and asks himself why we are in such need of them?

Comment

I do think that is part of the reason trades have not happened. I think JD feels he was forced to make moves he wouldn't normally make. I think that is why he is valuing this crop of prospects so highly, which I do no thave a problem with. Personally, I say throw them in and see what they can do where you have holes. If they sink they sink but some may swim rather well. I would love to see Chi Chi and THompson in the rotation vice Tepesch and Martinez even if it is just until Perez is ready.

But I don't think you can say JD has fleeced anyone since the Atlanta trade back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by guitargod5348 View Post
          I do think that is part of the reason trades have not happened. I think JD feels he was forced to make moves he wouldn't normally make. I think that is why he is valuing this crop of prospects so highly, which I do no thave a problem with. Personally, I say throw them in and see what they can do where you have holes. If they sink they sink but some may swim rather well. I would love to see Chi Chi and THompson in the rotation vice Tepesch and Martinez even if it is just until Perez is ready.

But I don't think you can say JD has fleeced anyone since the Atlanta trade back in the day.
          Where did they get Thompson?

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap View Post

Where did they get Thompson?
            That was a good move. It may turn out even better over time. C'mon, JD, you can do it!

Comment

Thomspon was from teh Royals, right? In the Frasor trade?

Comment

Originally posted by guitargod5348 View Post
                Thomspon was from teh Royals, right? In the Frasor trade?
                Detroit in the Soria deal.

Comment

I was close!!

Comment

Originally posted by Redcap View Post

Detroit in the Soria deal.
                    Good thing Knebel's elbow injury didn't require surgery. Will be great to have him in the bullpen at full strength to start the season. Along with Scheppers, could be a nice hard-throwing Ogando-like late-inning setup option behind Feliz.

Comment

Originally posted by fede e coraggio View Post

Good thing Knebel's elbow injury didn't require surgery. Will be great to have him in the bullpen at full strength to start the season. Along with Scheppers, could be a nice hard-throwing Ogando-like late-inning setup option behind Feliz.
                      I think Detwiler is in that mix, too. They are already getting some good candidates to have a strong bullpen. Love it. Things are progressing now.

Comment

So far the trades with the cubs, which is what most are upset about, we've traded a wildly over performing SP, two low leverage relievers and a guy who spent a good deal of the time since the trade injured. Would we have been better off not making those trades? In hindsight sure. AT the time they were giving up mostly depth, other then Edwards for an enhanced playoff chances. I doubt we ever really miss Ramirez and Grimm. The Roark that's pitching in DC doesn't look like the Roark we traded and I doubt he keeps up the same level of performance a while. Kyle kendricks is a back end guy who got on a good run. Edwards we could miss, but he can't stay healthy and is probably becoming more and more likely to be a RP, and I just can't get worked up over trading non elite RPs. They are just too stinking common.

The reason we need controllable starting pitching right now is due to two things, Perez's elbow and Harrison's back. Without those two injuries we have no need to trade for SP really. A front 4 of Darvish, Holland, Perez, Harrison is a top 5 rotation I'd bet. Instead we now have Darvish, Holland, Lewis, and Detwiller, which is probably a bottom 10 rotation instead. So we're trying to get someone who we have for more then one year for the prospects we're going to trade, which makes a lot of sense. The reason its hard to do is that no one wants to give up those players.

Trades since the Tex trade of the top of my head.
                        Hamilton for Volquez. Steal for the Rangers. Volquez is a decent middle rotation guy. Hamilton was an MVP level player here for 4 years.
                        Frankie Frank for Napoli. Steal for the Rangers. Frankie Frank was a good but not elite RP. Napoli was a very good offensive player for his time here
                        Lee/Lowe for Smoak, the rapist, Beaven, and another guy. Steal for the Rangers. Lee was a great pitcher for the time he was here. Lowe was a marginally useful RP. Smoak and Beaven are back of the roster players. The last guy I think is still bouncing around the minors.
                        Trade for Benji. No real effect for either team honestly. Molina for Chris Ray and Michael Main.
                        Koji for Davis/Hunter. Davis had a great season. Hunter is pretty much an average RP type. Koji was great the second year and we probably don't go as far without him as we did.
                        Mike Adams for Erlin/Weiland. Decent for both I'd say. Adams was a very good RP for us. Erlin and Weiland haven't done a lot in San Diego yet, and weren't really a fit in this park.
                        Dempster for Viluneva and Hendricks. So far a toss up honestly. Hendricks gave them about 80 good innings last year. Dempster wasn't good here but did chew up some innings. Maybe the 3b will tilt the deal or Hendricks will continue out performing all his numbers.
                        Garzafor Olt/Edwards/Grimm/Ramirez. My feelings have already been said about this one. Not a great trade but so far nothing to really despair over either, at least yet.\
                        Frasor for a Frasor starter kit. So far pretty meh.
                        Soria for Thompson/Knebel. A win so far. See how the guys turn out. if Knebel turns out to be a decent RP arm and Thompson does nothing you still have to consider it a win. If Thompson turns into a #3 or better its a home run.

Comment

Derinyar good, objective, look at the trades. If you go further back we also received our current closer in a trade, and our #2 until he came up with a freak injury.

Comment

The Cubs trades were both bad..thought they were horrible at the time.. and they look like they'll turn out to be horrible.

Comment

The Cubs' trades weren't that bad unless CJ somehow becomes a TORP (doubtful considering he's physically small and has already had shoulder issues). The rest were relievers and the Rangers don't ever seem to have much problem coming up with relief pitchers.

Comment

Working...
                              X