Our Advertisers Help Support The Newberg Report Adams & Company Real Estate - Exceptional Properities of North Texas    
Hamilton drives me nuts! - The Newberg Report

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hamilton drives me nuts!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamilton drives me nuts!

Does he HAVE to swing at every first pitch? Jesus! A guy on third and he swings at two balls...CRAP

his BA would probably be through the roof if he swung at strikes.

Comment

You take the bad with the good with him.

But with a man on third and less than two outs, that is the time you want to be a little more aggressive than normal.

Comment

Originally posted by rhreliever View Post
        You take the bad with the good with him.

But with a man on third and less than two outs, that is the time you want to be a little more aggressive than normal.
        ............last night's game was very frustrating to watch as many of the Rangers were getting themselves out. They never forced Millwood to throw strikes. The shoulder high fastball has been the death of many hitters and Millwood proved that again last night. As for Hamilton being "a little more aggressive than normal"....to do that, he'd have to run out to the mound and wrestle the ball out of the pitcher's hand. Murph could have also been more patient last night.
        Upon acquiring Greg Goosen on waivers from the Dodgers, Mets Manager, Casey Stengel introduced him with "This is Greg Goosen. He's 19 years old, and in 10 years he's got a chance to be 29 ".

Comment

So we are winning games and still griping? What are we, Yankee fans?

Their aggressiveness wins games for us too.

Comment

Originally posted by stemyn View Post

....there's a difference between being aggressive and making poor choices....regardless of how aggressively they're made.
            Upon acquiring Greg Goosen on waivers from the Dodgers, Mets Manager, Casey Stengel introduced him with "This is Greg Goosen. He's 19 years old, and in 10 years he's got a chance to be 29 ".

Comment

Leonys .375/.459/.531 in 32 AB. Keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by stemyn View Post

Swinging at first pitch strikes is aggressive. Hamilton is swinging as if there's a constant hit-and-run play on. There's good reason to gripe about that.
                Sixty percent of the time, I'm right every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                  Swinging at first pitch strikes is aggressive. Hamilton is swinging as if there's a constant hit-and-run play on. There's good reason to gripe about that.
                  Swinging at those three straight down and away change ups was one of the worst AB's I've seen from a Ranger in a while. I just had to laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by wufdog View Post
                    ................to do that, he'd have to run out to the mound and wrestle the ball out of the pitcher's hand. Murph could have also been more patient last night.
                    hahaha...now that would be a sight!

Comment

Originally posted by wufdog View Post
                      ....there's a difference between being aggressive and making poor choices....regardless of how aggressively they're made.
                      yup...I swear, sometimes it looks like they think, "ok, I've had 2 good AB's this game, so lets just screw this one up!"

Comment

Hamilton is swinging at the first pitch 64 percent of the time, according to ESPN Stats & Information (thanks to Mark Malzewski for researching it). That's the highest rate in baseball.

But judging by the results, Hamilton needs to keep swinging until the opposing pitchers decide not to throw him a pitch he can hit to start an at-bat. He is 5-for-9 when swinging at the first pitch with two homers, including that mammoth shot Sunday at Target Field in Minnesota. That homer was also the winning shot for the Rangers, who sit at 8-2 as they enjoy their first off day of the 2012 season.

Hamilton, by the way, led the league in first-pitch swings in 2011 with a 47 percent swing rate.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/texas...lton-leads-mlb

Comment

We have this discussion every season, and it's not just Hamilton. ML hitters post sick numbers on the first pitch. Josh happens to be one of the best, but they're all good on the first pitch. Pitchers like to start out 0-1. Smart hitters take advantage of that. All Josh has to do is take about a dozen first balls a season, and he cures the opposition from risking starting 1-0 against him. If I were an opposing manager I would institute an "all ball" policy when he's up. He's much less dangerous walking to first, and he might just get himself out.
                          When a team is at the bottom, the problem is usually at the top.

Comment

I'm far more worried about Nellie swinging at the first 3 pitches than Josh swinging at the first pitch. Nellie's striking out at a very Chris Davis-like 35% so far this year, and looks pretty horrific doing it. Josh is doing fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tythelip View Post
                              We have this discussion every season, and it's not just Hamilton. ML hitters post sick numbers on the first pitch. Josh happens to be one of the best, but they're all good on the first pitch. Pitchers like to start out 0-1. Smart hitters take advantage of that. All Josh has to do is take about a dozen first balls a season, and he cures the opposition from risking starting 1-0 against him. If I were an opposing manager I would institute an "all ball" policy when he's up. He's much less dangerous walking to first, and he might just get himself out.
                              ....smart hitters swing at strikes. I wouldn't classify Hamilton as a "smart" hitter. He's a guy with a ton of natural ability and the physical strength to overcome many of his mistakes....but there's not much you can do with a pitch that's in the dirt or in the other batter's box.

Comment

Working...
                              X