Presentation for Jeter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presentation for Jeter

Just watched the Ranger presentation for Jeter tonight with Pudge and MY..... and of course President Bush. The story of President and Jeter after 9/11 was something.

I will miss watching Jeter play... What a heck of a ballplayer he's been.

Jeter is universally respected throughout baseball - by Yankees fans and rivals alike. I'm so glad they chose to shoe-horn some politics into the ceremony by having GWB participate. It's just a shame Dick Cheney didn't join the ceremony and maybe Sean Hannity could have filled-in for Chuck on the PA.

Comment

Originally posted by starving View Post
      Jeter is universally respected throughout baseball - by Yankees fans and rivals alike. I'm so glad they chose to shoe-horn some politics into the ceremony by having GWB participate. It's just a shame Dick Cheney didn't join the ceremony and maybe Sean Hannity could have filled-in for Chuck on the PA.
      Didn't see anything wrong with it personally....maybe it only hit you as a political move?....I sure didn't see it that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

It wasn't that bad, but I thought it was kind of crass. Regardless of your political position, I think everyone knows that GWB isn't exactly a universally respected figure. ...so cramming him into the moment for Jeter was pretty ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by starving View Post
          It wasn't that bad, but I thought it was kind of crass. Regardless of your political position, I think everyone knows that GWB isn't exactly a universally respected figure. ...so cramming him into the moment for Jeter was pretty ridiculous.
          Oh well...two different opinions....all good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Should have stuck one in Jeter's ribs.

Comment

Why is every team that he plays in their park celebrating someone else's player? Jeter is a great player and had the good fortune of being in New York for his whole career. I swear it seems like this retirement lap is a recent occurrence, and mostly applies to Yankees players. The four that come to mind right now are Rivera, Chipper Jones, Jeter and Ripken. Ripken's I can understand somewhat as he had that major milestone. The other three are great players who played on one team their entire career and are all hall of fame players but why have a year long celebration of their career at every stadium they visit. In 23 years if Gallo is a hall of famer and played his entire career in Texas I wouldn't expect every team in baseball to celebrate his retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Derinyar View Post
                Why is every team that he plays in their park celebrating someone else's player? Jeter is a great player and had the good fortune of being in New York for his whole career. I swear it seems like this retirement lap is a recent occurrence, and mostly applies to Yankees players. The four that come to mind right now are Rivera, Chipper Jones, Jeter and Ripken. Ripken's I can understand somewhat as he had that major milestone. The other three are great players who played on one team their entire career and are all hall of fame players but why have a year long celebration of their leading at every stadium they visit. In 23 years if Gallo is a hall of famer and played his entire career in Texas I would't expect every team in baseball to celebrate his retirement.
                You don't know that.... Let's wait until Gallo ends up with multiple rings.... Top 7 all time in hits... Long way to go. Still, your probably right because the Rangers aren't the Yankees.... Dallas isn't New York... You get the picture. He's being honored because he's been great for the game and he's someone who is looked at in a positive light.... Whether that's deserved, I don't know for sure and you don't either.

Regardless, he's been a really great ballplayer and I'll miss watching him play. The game needs players like him.
                Last edited by pibrew; 07-31-2014, 11:48 PM.

Comment

No too long ago G. Brett retired and received one standing ovation (both fans and players in dugouts) at his last at-bat. If Jeter weren't a Yankee he would get the same treatment. Of course, he is a Yankee, so he gets the hero's farewell.
                  When a team is at the bottom, the problem is usually at the top.

Comment

Working...
                  X