• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can deal with Martin, but I was hoping for a weapon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Beau

Comment

They took a guy who can have an impact for them this year. That's the best thing to do. 8-8 teams don't need early-round projects.

Comment

Originally posted by texdrake View Post
        I can deal with Martin, but I was hoping for a weapon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I was thinking Cooks as my second choice after Martin.

Comment

So I think there's bound to be a DL fall to them in the 2nd. If not, I suspect they move up to take the guy they most want (Lawrence?).

Wild Card? Cowboys move up in 2nd without sacrificing #47 by moving future picks/extra picks. Take 2 players.
          Last edited by MOnkeypox; 05-09-2014, 03:51 PM.

Comment

I pretty concerned that all the players I like may be gone by their next pick. A shame. I would love to get 2 of the of the following tonight.

DE's
            Demarcus Lawrence, Boise State (6-3, 251)
            Kony Ealy, Missouri (6-4, 273)
            Scott Crichton, Oregon State (6-3, 273)
            Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas
            Chris Smith, Arkansas
            Trent Murphy, Stanford (6-5, 250)

DT's
            Timmy Jernigan, Florida State (6-2, 299)
            Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame (6-6, 304)
            Ra'Shede Hageman, Minnesota (6-6, 310)
            Da'Quan Jones, Penn State (6-4, 322)

DB's
            Terrence Brooks, Florida State
            Jaylen Watkins, Florida

There are a couple WR's I like to but they won't make it to the 3rd and they REALLY need defense.

I would love to get Ealy and settle for Crichton, but if we can't have either I would rather role with Chris Smith or Jackson Jeffcoat in the 3rd and get a DT in the 2nd. I imagine Hageman and Tuitt will be there still

They could give up a 4th this year and 4th next year to move up in the 2nd but I would want a 5th rounder back and it probably wouldn't happen. The price would be pretty steep to move up 10 spots and I don't see them giving up a 3rd (maybe next year's but not this years)
            Last edited by texdrake; 05-09-2014, 04:12 PM.
            Beau

Comment

I like the pick and the fit for need, not a huge fan of the cost but I'm fine with it. The Cowboys clearly had a first round grade on Lawrence and he looks like a great fit to work into the LDE rotation (with Selvie or Spencer) right away.

I look at it like I would have been fine with giving up a 2nd and 3rd to get Frederick last year, and the Cowboys clearly had Lawrence rated higher than Frederick. They probably had him around 15 - 20 and now walk away from the first three rounds with a player than had at 9 on their board plus Lawrence.

Comment

Lawrence profiles as a RDE. He comes in with the potential to make an impact there right away.

Like you, I don't like the cost... but it's the cost of doing business.

Comment

Notice in my post that I didn't even mention Lawrence getting to us. I figured we had no shot. I really like the kid. I thought it was going to cost a 4th and next year's 4th as well to move up. a 3rd is steep but frankly they are getting 2 starters with first round grades out of their top 3 picks. Thats pretty good.

I expect them to add LB, DT, OG, and WR with 4 of the their final 8 picks. Probably a couple athletes too. All three RB's I liked are now gone.
                  Beau

Comment

I'm questioning the timing of this Hitchens pick, just because I can't find anyone who thinks he should've gone this high, and the Cowboys have picks to move. There's some speculation that they wanted Ellis out of Louisiana Tech, and got burned when he went to Oakland. I'm wondering if they don't try to move back up here soon. I just think this was a reach.

But Garrett emphasizes production, and Hitchens definitely has been productive. Seemed to come up with the magical big plays. Depends on if you think that's luck, or a preternatural talent.

Comment

Like Street here, though I think I would've preferred having a veteran complement to the young guys we have. But in the end, not much out there (and it will still be available after the draft).

Tall, long WR with soft hands from a pro-style offense. Skinny, though... got that Plaxiglass build. But he's a good team fit.

Still need depth/help along the DL, but last round was like 40% defensive backs, and the next round or two should be sick with DL depth players. The question is can the Cowboys move up/around enough to get their guys.
                      Last edited by MOnkeypox; 05-10-2014, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by texdrake View Post
                        Notice in my post that I didn't even mention Lawrence getting to us. I figured we had no shot. I really like the kid. I thought it was going to cost a 4th and next year's 4th as well to move up. a 3rd is steep but frankly they are getting 2 starters with first round grades out of their top 3 picks. Thats pretty good.

I expect them to add LB, DT, OG, and WR with 4 of the their final 8 picks. Probably a couple athletes too. All three RB's I liked are now gone.
                        Im sure the 7th will be a mixed bag, there are some good DL and OL projects to be had. I really like the Street pick, he looks like he can help the vertical game right away but still have the potential to start down the road. There are things to like on the tape of Hitchens and he clearly needs work with the position coaches and conditioning group, he seems like a pick fans will argue about for a while.

Comment

Still a ton of DL out there with mid-round grades on them, but I'm starting to get anxious. Still a long ways out for the Cowboys pick. Of course, it all depends on how the team graded them, and their fit to scheme.

Comment

Working...
                          X