X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL Draft

About that time. My annual predictions:

Straight Up

1 (16) – Anthony Barr, DE UCLA: Not my favorite on the board but lots of potential and size, very quick. (Alternate - Kony Ealy)

2 (56) – DaQuan Jones, DT Penn State: I think they get a good look at him due to scouting Aaron Donald. I would love Hageman here but I don’t think he falls that far. (Alternate – Anthony Johnson, DT LSU)

3 (78) – Billy Turner, OT North Dakota State: A little early in my mind for a small school guy but lots of people like him (Alternate Cyril Richardson, OG Baylor)

4 (119) – Jerick McKinnon, RB Georgia Southern: Won’t last until the 5th. Has some of best numbers in the draft for a RB

5 (158) – Adrian Hubbard, LB Alabama – Solid with good burst

7 (229) – Marcus Lucas, WR Missouri
    7 (231) – Trey Millard, FB Oklahoma
    7 (238) – Brandon Dixon, CB NW Missouri State
    7 (248) – Kerry Hyder, DT Texas Tech
    7 (251) – Crockett Gilmore, TE Colorado State
    7 (254) – Marqueston Huff, S Wyoming

The Trade

- In this scenario the Cowboys don’t have Barr or Donald on the board and somebody wants to move up for WR or CB. Cowboys trade back with the 49ers who give up their 1st rounder (30), the later of their 2 second round picks (61st) and their 2nd of 3, third round picks (#91) for the Cowboys #1 and first of their 6, 7th rounders (#229). I think this is the most likely option for the Cowboys as I feel they will be reaching at 16 as their guys are going to be off the board.

1 (30) – DeMarcus Lawrence, DE Boise: A new DeMarcus to rush. Not super fast but is very quick and strong.

2 (47) – Allen Robinson, WR Penn State: Big quick target to play WR (Kelvin Benjamin, WR Florida State)

2 (61) – DaQuan Jones, DT Penn State: (Alternate – Anthony Johnson, DT LSU)

3 (78) – Billy Turner, OT North Dakota State: (Alternate: Chris Smith, DE Arkansas)

3 (91) – Cyril Richardson, OG Baylor: Huge mountain of man for the line

4 (119) – Jerick McKinnon, RB Georgia Southern:

5 (158) – Adrian Hubbard, LB Alabama

7 (231) – Trey Millard, FB Oklahoma
    7 (238) – Brandon Dixon, CB NW Missouri State
    7 (248) – Kerry Hyder, DT Texas Tech
    7 (251) – Crockett Gilmore, TE Colorado State
    7 (254) – Marqueston Huff, S Wyoming

FA Signings:
    Casey Pachal, QB TCU
    Davon Coleman, DE Arizona
    Elijah Olabode, FS TCU
    Damian Williams, RB Oklahoma
    Tevin Reese, WR Baylor
    Dashaun Pillips, CB Tarleton State
    Kevin Fogg, KR Liberty
    Cameron Frosch, P Texas A&M Commerce
    Spender Long, G Nebraska
    Beau

good post

I'd prefer the Cowboys trade down if they can't get a true impact player. My best hope is Manziel falls to Dallas and get a RG3 ransom out of someone wanting to move up for him.

Comment

I would be fine with that draft, but I do think they want Donald over Barr. They need a WDE much more, but I still wonder if Barr is a smoke screen. I also think Turner is gone before our 3rd rounder. This is what I'm thinking (though I think Easley likely goes before our pick in the 2nd):

1/2: DT Aaron Donald/DE Demarcus Lawrence or DE Barr/DT Easley
      3rd : BPA who drops
      4th : QB Aaron Murray
      5th : WR Mike Davis
      7th: CB Demitri Goodson
      DT Chris Whaley
      OT Charles Siddoway
      OG Kadeem Edwards
      DT George Uko
      LB Will Smith

Comment

I have no doubt that Donald will be gone by 16. I also don't see them drafting a QB as any one they take would hit free agency by the time they became a starter. Romo will be the starter for the next two and probably next three years for cost reasons alone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Beau

Comment

Don't underestimate Jerry's man crush on Manziel. No pick is too high if Jerry gets his dander up.

Comment

You don't draft a guy to ride the pine for three years. Especially the way contracts are written. If he is there at 16 I would take him. They won't trade up for him. I don't see him getting past Oakland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Beau

Comment

Originally posted by texdrake View Post
              I have no doubt that Donald will be gone by 16. I also don't see them drafting a QB as any one they take would hit free agency by the time they became a starter. Romo will be the starter for the next two and probably next three years for cost reasons alone
              I think this draft will be very unpredictable and do think Donald will be there at 16. There could also be an OT or WR available that is picked because they are much higher on our board.

I think they pick a QB and a 4th round pick isn't an expensive price for a young guy to groom. They did the same thing in 2009 drafting Steven McGee in the 4th round, who was on the roster for 3 years while Romo was much younger. You need insurance against Romo getting hurt, Orton is gone after this year and if Murray develops while Romo is still starting you can always trade him for more than what you paid.

Another data point is that Romo was on the bench for three years before he ever got into a game with the Cowboys.

Comment

Originally posted by Rev View Post
                Don't underestimate Jerry's man crush on Manziel. No pick is too high if Jerry gets his dander up.
                I don't think there is any scenario where Dallas takes a QB in the first. If Manziel is on the board at 16, someone will trade up with Dallas to get that pick and Dallas will benefit greatly from the added picks.

Also Jerry's last three drafts have been good, the team is earning the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

I wouldnt say one pick a draft is good enough. 2012 just stank. Just role players. 2011 was pretty good but really its hard to mess up a top 10 pick. Even still you have guys that cant stay healthy in Lee and Murray. 2013 had 1 very good pick in Frederick and 1 decent in Williams. 2010- 1 player. Its going to take a few more years and a silent Jerry for me to give him a benefit of the doubt. After 18 or whatever it is anymore its going to take quite a bit.

Like I said dont underestimate the stupidity of Jerry Jones. If Manziel starts to fall even as far as 8 or 9 I wouldnt be surprised to see Jerry make a move for him. Besides the salaries are slotted now so sitting on the bench for a couple of years is not going to be that big of a deal anymore for a QB. Injuries and Romos contract are going to force him out in a couple of years, anyways.

Comment

I wouldnt say one pick a draft is good enough. 2012 just stank. Just role players. 2011 was pretty good but really its hard to mess up a top 10 pick. Even still you have guys that cant stay healthy in Lee and Murray. 2013 had 1 very good pick in Frederick and 1 decent in Williams. 2010- 1 player. Its going to take a few more years and a silent Jerry for me to give him a benefit of the doubt. After 18 or whatever it is anymore its going to take quite a bit.
                    This is what's known as complaining for the sake of complaining. If you get Pro Bowl players like Lee and Murray in the 2nd and 3rd round and still complain about it, you aren't going to be happy with anyone's draft.

Comment

Like I said dont underestimate the stupidity of Jerry Jones. If Manziel starts to fall even as far as 8 or 9 I wouldnt be surprised to see Jerry make a move for him. Besides the salaries are slotted now so sitting on the bench for a couple of years is not going to be that big of a deal anymore for a QB. Injuries and Romos contract are going to force him out in a couple of years, anyways.
                      You can't really grade a class until 3 years out and I wouldn't say the 2012 "stunk". First, I still see Claiborne turning it around. He had one bad season and one very injured season. Tyrone Crawford has a very good chance to become a starter and would have started at LE last year if he didnt' have an injury. Kyle Wilber is the the guy most likely to start on the strong side unless they draft an LB. 2012 had the misfortune of having a lot of injuries however I liked the draft on the day of the draft. I though Matt Johnson was a great pickup before he gave them 2 years of nothing.

1 - Morris Claiborne, CB, Louisiana State (5-11, 188); 3 - Tyrone Crawford, DE, Boise State (6-4, 275); 4 - Kyle Wilber, OLB, Wake Forest (6-4, 249); 4 - Matt Johnson, S, Eastern Washington (6-1, 211); 5 - Danny Coale, WR, Virginia Tech (6-0, 201); 6 - James Hanna, TE (6-4, 252); 7 - Caleb McSurdy, ILB, Montana (6-1, 245)
                      Beau

Comment

Originally posted by Kaisersoze View Post
                        This is what's known as complaining for the sake of complaining. If you get Pro Bowl players like Lee and Murray in the 2nd and 3rd round and still complain about it, you aren't going to be happy with anyone's draft.
                        I already stated that 2011 was a good draft. I dont have to be happy about drafting fragile players that have never shown they can play a full season. Maybe if they would draft better in the first place then having these guys won't hurt as much when they end their season early.

Comment

They traded up for a cb. They spent a lot of money on a cb in FA. Maybe my expectations for Claiborne are ruined because of that. I would much rather had stayed where we were and drafted what was reported to have been our targets (Brockers and Wagner). I was mad then and I will probably still hate it in the future. The other guys don't inspire confidence either. Yeah one or two may start but only because they have to. This is just my opinion and I could be wrong. Until then I will still contend that the draft stunk.

Comment

Originally posted by texdrake View Post
                            You can't really grade a class until 3 years out and I wouldn't say the 2012 "stunk". First, I still see Claiborne turning it around. He had one bad season and one very injured season.
                            I wouldn't characterize Claiborne's rookie year as a bad season, for a rookie to be an average starter is definitely above what most rookies do. Last year was a season where he never got untracked because of injuries, Derek Holland had a year like that as well.

Also James Hanna was used as a blocker last year, but he has the potential to be an excellent 6th round pick if they let him use his deep speed from the TE position.

Comment

Give me Donald or Clinton-Dix. At least give me 3 DL and a FS within the first 5 picks. Right now the DL consists of guys coming off major injury, mediocre journeyman-types, and totally unproven guys - our DL needs an infusion of new blood pronto.

Comment

Working...
                              X