Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Around the horn???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Around the horn???

    Does anyone know where going around the horn after a an out or strikeout started from? I'm guessing that it is meant to keep the infielders "warm", but where did this come from?

  • #2
    Re: Around the horn???

    Originally posted by kunkelbetterthanarod
    Does anyone know where going around the horn after a an out or strikeout started from? I'm guessing that it is meant to keep the infielders "warm", but where did this come from?
    The term is from maritime lore, where going "around the Horn" meant sailing the whole world. Reference, Cape Horn is what's gone around. The throws go around the whole infield. It is also used when a double play goes from third to second to first, covering all the position bags (although doesn't require the 3Bman to take the first out at 3B.) Rarely, a triple play around the horn is made, with outs progressing from 3B to 2B to 1B. More at the link:

    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_infiel ... s_recorded

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Around the horn???

      There are two variations of around the horn used by the Rangers, depending on the play.

      1. Strikeout with no-one on base - catcher > third > shortstop > second > third > pitcher.
      2. Throwout at first with no-one on base - first > second > short > third > pitcher.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Around the horn???

        Originally posted by JMLPhoto
        There are two variations of around the horn used by the Rangers, depending on the play.

        1. Strikeout with no-one on base - catcher > third > shortstop > second > third > pitcher.
        2. Throwout at first with no-one on base - first > second > short > third > pitcher.
        Correct! And it drives me nuts when the throw from the 3rd baseman goes to the 2nd baseman after a strikeout.

        Another appropriate variation can have the catcher throw to the 1B after a K, if the batter's dugout in on the third baseline.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Around the horn???

          What is the purpose? To keep arms loose? If you think about it "going around the horn" is just flat out silly.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Around the horn???

            Originally posted by kunkelbetterthanarod
            What is the purpose? To keep arms loose? If you think about it "going around the horn" is just flat out silly.
            To keep the arms loose and the defense engaged in the game.

            Comment

            Working...
            X